How do you know if a quote is authentic?
The majority of quotes shared and posted online, especially on social media, do not cite sources. Many of the quotes you see are incorrectly written, and some even cite the wrong person, but their accuracy isn’t questioned, and they continue to spread. At a time when disinformation is rampant, it becomes even more important to give credit where it’s due, and to spend time on factual sourcing.
To that end, I researched every quote that you see featured on this website, in the Dare to be Fabulous book, and in the Dare to be Fabulous Journal Notebook, to ensure that all the quotes are authentic and appropriately cited. Below is a list of the sources I found for each quote.
If you post or share a featured DTBF quote, please consider citing its source (below) alongside it, or provide a link to this page as reference.
Dare to be Fabulous
- Alcott, Louisa May. Little Women. New York. Penguin Books, 2012. https://more.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S164C2115714
- Angelou, Maya. Facebook. 17 Feb. 2017. https://facebook.com/MayaAngelou/photos/a.485196574795.264196.33512954795/10155459929079796/?type=3.
- Anglund, Joan Walsh. A Cup of Sun: A Book of Poems. Harcourt, Brace & World, 1967. (Often attributed to Maya Angelou).
- Ardern, Jacinda. BBC News. 16 Nov. 2018.
- Atwood, Margaret. The New Beacon Book of Quotations by Women. Edited by Rosalie Maggio, Beacon Press, 1996. p. 9
- Ball, Lucille. “Lucille Ball Biography.” Biography.com Editors, Biography.com, A&E Television Networks, 24 Nov. 2011.
- Biles, Simone. Twitter. 10 May 2016, 9:37 p.m. https://twitter.com/simone_biles/status/730255395554365441?lang=en.
- Brach, Tara. Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha. Random House Publishing Group; Reprint edition, 23 Nov. 2004
- Brande, Dorothea. Wake Up and Live! Simon & Schuster, 1 Jan. 1980.
- Brown, Brené. Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. Avery; Reprint edition, 7 Apr. 2015.
- Chanel, Coco. Believing in Ourselves. Edited by Armand Eisen, Andrews McMeel Publishing; Miniature Book edition, 1 Jan. 1992.
- Child, Lydia Maria. Letters from New York: 1st and 2d Series. London, F. Pitman., 1879, p. 232.
- Chödrön, Pema. Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion. Shambhala Publications, 2008.
- Daly, Mary. The New Beacon Book of Quotations by Women. Edited by Rosalie Maggio, Beacon Press, 1996. p. 145
- DeGeneres, Ellen. Tulane University Commencement Speech, 2009.
- Fey, Tina. Bossypants. Little, Brown, and Company, 5 Apr. 2011.
- Gandhi, Indira. Press conference, New Delhi. 19 Oct. 1971. As cited in “Indian and Pakistani Armies Confront Each Other Along Borders” by Sydney H. Schanberg, The New York Times, 20 Oct. 1971, p. 6C. https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/you_cannot_shake_hands_with_a_clenched_fist.
- Garland, Judy. Kennedy, Lou. Business Etiquette for the Nineties: Your Ticket to Career Success. Palmetto Pub, 1992. p. 8.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Judy_Garland (Accessed 3 May, 2022)
- Gibson, Althea. I Always Wanted to Be Somebody. HarperCollins, 1958.
- Ginsburg, Ruth Bader. RUTH: Justice Ginsburg In Her Own Words. Mock, F.L. (Director/Producer), American Film Foundation, 2019.
- Goodall, Jane. My Life with the Chimpanzees. Aladdin; Revised edition, 1 Apr. 1996.
- Haddock, Doris. Granny D: You’re Never Too Old to Raise a Little Hell. Villard; Reprint, Subsequent edition, 8 Apr. 2003.
- Hay, Louise. You Can Heal Your Life. Hay House Inc., 1 Jan. 1984.
- Jackson, Glenda. Popcorn in Paradise. Edited by John Robert Colombo, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1 Jan. 1979.
- Kaling, Mindy. Twitter. 8 June 2014. https://twitter.com/mindykaling/status/475515607698243584.
- Keller, Helen. Let Us Have Faith. New York. Doubleday, Doran & Co., Inc, First Edition, 1940.
- Kent, Germany. “Email Interview.” Citation and permission provided by Germany Kent via email on 13 Apr. 2022.
- Lammott, Anne. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Anchor, 1 Sep. 1995
- Le Guin, Ursula K. The Left Hand of Darkness. Ace Books, 1969.
- Lichtenstein, Grace. “Competition in Women’s Athletics.” Competition: A Feminist Taboo? Edited by Valerie Miner and Helen E. Longino, The Feminist Press at the City University of New York, 1987
- Mayer, Katrina. Instagram. 6 Dec. 2013. https://www.instagram.com/p/hmLUcNOXQ7/?hl=en.
- McLaughlin, Mignon. The Neurotic’s Notebook. Howard W. Same & Co., Inc, 1963.
- Morrison, Toni. Song of Solomon. Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group; Reprint edition, 8 June 2004.
- Nin, Anais. The Diary of Anais Nin, Vol. 3, 1939-1944. Edited by Gunther Stuhlmann, Houghton Mifflin, 2009.
- Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy. The Kennedys: An American Drama by Peter Collier and David Horowitz, Encounter Books; 2nd edition, 1 Jan. 2002.
- Ono, Yoko. “Yoko Ono Quotes.” IMDB.com. Accessed 30 Apr. 2022.
- Parton, Dolly. Twitter. 3 Nov. 2010.
- Perkins-Gilman, Charlotte. Human Work. McClure, Phillips & Co., 1904.
- Poole, Mary Pettibone. A Glass Eye at a Keyhole, Section: “Beggars Can’t Be Losers,” Dorrance and Company, 1938.
- Radner, Gilda. It’s Always Something. HarperCollins, 1 Jan. 1990.
- Reeves, Dianne. “Endangered Species.” Art & Survival. EMI Records, 1993.
- Richardson, Dorothy. The Trap. Knopf, 1925.
- Roosevelt, Eleanor. TheQuoteInvestigator.com. As researched by Garson O’Toole, 30 Apr. 2012. https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/30/no-one-inferior/.
- Shange, Ntozake. A Photograph/Lovers in Motion. Samuel French, 1981.
- Sills, Beverly. Incredible Quotations: 230 Thought-Provoking Quotes with Prompts to Spark Students’ Writing, Thinking, and Discussion. Edited by Jacqueline Sweeney, Scholastic Inc., 1997.
- Silverman, Sarah. “We Are Miracles.” HBO Entertainment, 2013
- Smith, Patti. Early Work, 1970-1979. W. W. Norton & Company; 2nd edition, 17 June 1995.
- Stark, Freya. Letters from Syria. John Murray; 1st edition, 1942.
- Steinem, Gloria. Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions. Open Road Media; 2nd edition, 2012, p. 326.
- Stern, Jessica. Denial: A Memoir of Terror. Ecco Press, 2010, p. 137.
- Tomlin, Lily. “Is This the Country to Whom I’m Speaking?” People, Volume 8, Number 26, Time Inc., 26 Dec. 1977.
- Ulrich, Laurel Thatcher. “Vertuous Women Found: New England Ministerial Literature, 1668-1735”. American Quarterly, 1976.
- Welty, Eudora. One Writer’s Beginnings. Harvard University Press, 1984, ch. 3.
- White, Betty. “We’ll Miss You, Betty! 32 Betty White Quotes To Remember the Hollywood Icon” by Jeryl Bruner. Parade, 1 Jan., 2022.
- Wilder, Laura Ingalls. Little House in the Ozarks. Bbs Pub Corp; 1st Galahad Books Ed edition, 1 Sep. 1996.
- Williams, Serena. “The Fall and Rise of Maturing Serena Williams” by Ahmed Rizvy, The National News (Sports), 9 Sep. 2012.
- Williamson, Marianne. Facebook. 10 Aug. 2013.
- Winfrey, Oprah. Oprah, In Her Words: Our American Princess. Edited by Tuchy Palmieri. BookSurge Publishing, 2008, p. 71.
- Wood, Nancy. Hollering Sun. “My help is in the mountain.” 1972.
https://nancywood.com/?p=256 (Accessed 4 May, 2022)
- Winters, Shelley. Wild Words from Wild Women. Edited by Autumn Stevens. Conari Press; Revised edition, 1 Sep. 2014.