You’ve heard the adage “compare and despair?” Dare to be Fabulous proposes this antidote: “relate and celebrate!”
Every woman’s personality and circumstances are unique, but we can all relate to how it feels when we dare ourselves to cross a personal divide, enter unknown terrain, take a chance, shift perspective, face a fear, or stretch a little. Liberating ourselves from long-established routines, behaviors, expectations, or fears, can be very empowering and even provide a healthy dose of levity and laughter.
This is how we grow. And it’s how we find our own true north.
The personal stories featured in the book were curated from over 50 stories previously featured on this website. With only three exceptions, all of the stories were written specifically for Dare to be Fabulous. The book also features prominent quotes and personal writing/reflection prompts for the reader.
Join the Dare to be Fabulous mailing list to receive occasional blog posts and fun updates from the editor.
ABOUT THE EDITOR
Johanna McCloy lived in Spain, India, Japan, and Venezuela, before getting her B.A. in International Comparative Studies and Anthropology from Duke University. She is a freelance writer and editor, a SAG-AFTRA actor with starring and guest starring roles in TV and film, and an advocate responsible for opening the door to veggie dogs and other plant-based offerings at MLB parks and sports and entertainment venues.
In addition to Dare to be Fabulous, Johanna is the editor of her mother’s memoir, Six Car Lengths Behind an Elephant: Undercover & Overwhelmed as a CIA Wife and Mother by Lillian McCloy, which John le Carré describes as “a charming and unusual portrait of the secret life.”
Samples of Johanna’s published writing
- “My Father, the Spy,” Duke Magazine (“Before/After” in print edition)
- “Delhi Diary,” India Currents Magazine
- “I Canceled My Wedding” Dare to be Fabulous
- “Communion,” MoXie Magazine (title in left column)
- “Kathleen Courtney is Behind the Scenes at Alameda Point,” Oakland Magazine
- Multiple articles – Truth Atlas
- “Bill is needed to help restore California as film capital,” Bay Area News Group (published in 11 daily and weekly newspapers)